UK Farmers are being encouraged to plan ahead and look at green projects with the future of UK farming likely to change. While various grants and funding are already on offer, Environmental Secretary Michael Gove plans to reward environmentally friendly farmers post-brexit. Current proposals plan to scrap the current Common Agricultural Policy, in favour of … Continue reading UK Farmers Encouraged to Go Green
Reform of existing tax measures could be on the horizon for owners of land approved for development. A report published in September 2018 by the Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee suggested that the significant increase in the value of agricultural land when planning permission is granted for residential use should be reflected in more … Continue reading Higher Taxes on Development Land?
Farmers in Wales are being offered £1,000 to help with the Welsh Government’s new Red Meat Benchmarking project, aimed at helping them assess and improve the performance of their businesses. The project, managed by Hybu Cig Cymru, will require 2,000 farmers to complete an on-line questionnaire giving information about their business activities for either 2016/2017 … Continue reading New Red Meat Benchmarking Project Offers Cash for Farmers
Following petitions fronted by Care And Respect All Dogs (CARIAD) and the RSPCA, Michael Gove has announced the intent to ban the sale of puppies and kittens from pet shops, online dealers and 3rd party sellers. From October 1st 2018 new laws in England will ban licensed sellers from dealing in puppies and kittens under … Continue reading Wales to Follow Footsteps in Puppy and Kitten Farming
Whilst many of us have been basking in the glorious sunshine and high temperatures this year, some farmers have been experiencing the not-so -wonderful side effects of the extreme summer weather. Crop failure has made 2018 pretty disastrous for many in the agricultural industry. Already we are being warned of a shortage of peas, grains … Continue reading The Long Hot Summer of 2018
According to recent research by estate agents Strutt & Parker, a larger share of farmland is being purchased by private investors. The research shows that the share of purchases by farmers, traditionally hovering between 60 and 65 per cent, has dropped to 50 per cent over the last 6 months. This is the lowest level … Continue reading Farmers Waiting for More Clarity Before Buying Land
FRS102 and FRS105 are the financial reporting standards that set out how accounts should be prepared for UK entities and micro-entities. The standards, which became effective for financial year-ends on or after 1 January 2016 (1 January 2015 for medium-sized companies) are mandatory for all farming businesses trading as a limited company and are therefore … Continue reading How Are Changes to Accounting Reporting Standards Impacting Farm Accounts?
A recent survey of farmers by the Farmers Weekly found that 69% thought that their business would be worse off as a result of Brexit. Of the remaining 31%, 15% thought that they would fare better as a result, whilst 16% believed that Brexit would have little or no effect. The UK is set to … Continue reading Most Farmers Think They Will Be Worse off After Brexit
Britain’s most respected animal welfare charity has joined in the debate over the future of farming subsidies post-Brexit. Speaking recently at the Oxford Real Farming Conference, the RSPCA put forward their proposals for the continued funding of the British farming industry when the subsidies under the EU CAP come to an end. Primarily, they are … Continue reading RSPCA Supports Farming Subsidies
The Rural Payments Wales Online “Manage My Land” service has replaced the Field Maintenance (FM4) paper forms, which are no longer available. The online service should be used to submit information on land registrations, boundary maintenance, new or changed permanent features, and any transfers of land. Users are also reminded that changes must be submitted … Continue reading Manage My Land – the New Way Forward